Stanley V. Anderson Collection
Dates: 1955-2009 (Bulk: 1962-1977), with several journal articles from the 1920s through 1940s.
The Stanley V. Anderson Collection was begun by Dr. Stanley V. Anderson, a political science professor at University of California, Santa Barbara, in 1957. The collection—then unofficially termed the “Ombudsman Library”—was gathered by him from 1957 until 1982. In 1991, Professor Anderson became Professor Emeritus at UCSB.
The materials in this ombudsman library were a major part of the Ombudsman movement in the 1960s and 1970s, used by scholars and Dr. Anderson’s students to research and produce a large number of works on the plausibility of, need for, and success of Ombudsmen throughout the world. After being transferred by Dr. Anderson to a UCSB campus office in the 1980s, the materials eventually were given to the United States Ombudsman Association in 2009 by UCSB.